Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Another GAPS type of day, still not quite perfect.

This GAPS diet has definitely been an experiment for me. I'm not normally the type of person to just jump into things. It took me a good five years to buy a new camera, three for a new bike, two for a laptop, the list goes on. I strategize everything, trying to find the most efficient and economical way to achieve my objective. Unfortunately, perfectionism ultimately leads to procrastination and not getting things done as quickly as I would ultimately like. Based on these prior experiences, I wasted no time with the GAPS diet and took the leap immediately, bringing my husband along for the ride (thank you hon!).

So things have been far from perfect with regards to the GAPS protocol. Non-GAPS approved foods "sneak" in every now and again (mmmm....bacon!), we've been hovering between stages one and two for the last couple weeks, never really following each step as it's laid out in the book. And now we are slowly starting to move on to stage three. With the imprecise nature of our approach, while we've seen some areas of improvement, every other day seems to alternate between really good and not so great. Today for example, not as super awesome for myself.

Regardless of the approach, we continue on, knowing (hoping) things can only get better. And honestly, there are things that are starting to make a lot of sense to me with the very limited diet. Night shades for example may not be something my digestive system is ready to handle yet....May need to avoid those a little longer and see what progresses.

As usual, biggest short-term concern is what else can we eat? I wouldn't say I'm bored with the diet, but the distinct lack of snacks makes things rather difficult.....so much easier to grab some fresh fruit or veggies to nom versus warming up some broth or making up some new soups. Fortunately I love soup, but it does lack a convenience factor, at least when trying to avoid microwaves. We also have a 50 mile bike ride coming up in a few weeks (probably not the best timing for this diet, but again, was not the most premeditated plan...), and I'm a little concerned about food on the road. I know there are plenty of great trail mixes and snacks I could pack/make, but only if my/our internal system is ready for them (those types of snacks are reserved more for the full GAPS diet). Perhaps we'll get lucky and brease through the rest of the steps. Here's to wishful thinking!

No comments :

Post a Comment